I wanted to pass on emails about Kenya for you to keep them in your prayers.
FROM EDWARD BURIA
Its been four very distressful days that has seen hundreds of people loosing their lives, destruction of property in massive scales, and tens of thousands of our people displaced. This includes our own brothers and sisters in Mararal, Naivasha and Nairobi. The most affected areas are in Nyanza (Kisumu), Eldoret, Mombasa, a few places in the Western Kenya, Nairobi (i.e. the slums areas of Mathare and Kibera).
Preliminary reasons for the un-rest
1. Claims of Presidential votes rigged
2. Claims of massive doctored results from some constituencies
3. That the Electoral Commission was compromised
What I make of these claims
(1 ) I do admit there were irregularities especially with how the electoral commission was receiving results from their returning officers - This was mainly a logistic problem that wasn't expected by the commission, who I think underestimated the turn out from previous elections,the turn out this time round was huge!
(2) Its not completely true when ODM claims that there was massive rigging, a position that is confirmed by the fact that over 20 cabinet ministers that include the Vice President lost in the just concluded election
ODM also managed to gather close to 100 parliamentary seats giving them a very strong voice in the 10th parliament. A number of other parties have claims that in Nyanza Province ODM did not allow any voting for other parties except ODM. These parties are saying that since they have evidence to these allegations, they will be going to court to challenge.
Its also now becoming very clear that the crowds protesting are not genuinely protesting for justice to be done on the allegations but its like militia groups out there to kill, destroy property and instil fears.There are also clear expressions of tribal sentiments by the marauding and unruly youths.
Our course of action
(1) Much prayer countrywide with our churches all over having chain prayers round the clock
(2) Messages of hope and comfort using the media,telephone conversations,sms, and one to one
(3) Sending of airtime to those affected so as to get in touch with their loved ones
(4) We have dispatched 2 lorries full of foodstuffs, blankets and other required essential to be distributed in Nairobi
(5) Have picked a team of 5 from here to help with the co-ordination and response
1. Breaking the demonic force that is so evident when you see the passion of those killing and destroying
2. That the elected leaders would come to their senses and put the interest of the Nation first as compared to their interests
3. That all parties quickly accept to reason out as they dialogue
4. That God will console all who have lost their loved ones, property and those that have been displaced
5. That the country i.e. those not affected will unite in sharing with those displaced
6. That the healing, restoration and reconciliation will be quick
7. That God will give us much wisdom in our small way of responding to the current crisis
8. That those coming from outside as mediators do not be partisan in their outreach
9. That those admitted in various hospitals with multiple injuries recover soon
10. That the INTERNATIONAL community will come to our aid by giving us resources to assist
11. That we will have resources to assist us in our small way of assisting our own n others
In conclusion, its very clear that ahead of us we have a big problem of settling all those that have been displaced as they have lost everything including their homes and livelihood.
We thank all those who have gotten in touch with us to let us know of their love and prayers.
I have the following as the latest on the unrest in our country today the 5th January 2008:
Today has been a calm day with shops opening up in some of the worst affected places.
The President has addressed the nation with a language that was clearly showing that he is very willing to dialogue with Hon Raila and the opposition,but also a language that was calling upon all Kenyans to live together like we have over the years.Very wise and well calculated language!
We also are very encouraged by the number of world known peace crusaders who have interrupted their schedules so as to come and see how they could be help to us.
Tomorrow has been declared a national day praying for peace all over can I ask all our dear freinds who have been praying with us since this crisis started to join with us in a unified prayer for this great nation.All the media houses are now united in the appeal for peace and reconciliation as well as calling upon our leaders to sit and talk-Never seen the media united at a worthy cause this way!
I am also very encouraged that our TV programme early today and which happens to be the 1st Christian programme to be aired by KBC this year,has had a powerful impact to the entire Nation-as I write this email,we are completely overwhelmed by the hundreds of callers from all over the Country saying that what I was preaching is what the country needs to hear at this hour.My message was based on Phil 1:1-6 with strong emphases that He who began a good work in our lives and country at large is still committed to us and will bring that good work to completion against all odds.With this kind of impact and realisation how much the airwaves can be a great tool of healing,we believe it is proper increasing our current airtime by an extra 15 minutes.We need to use every avenue that is available now to accelerate our greatest objective at the moment as a nation, i e healing,restoration and reconciliation.
The presence of the church in relief supplies and crisis management is a great tool in the healing process-I find myself having a deep cry and prayer that God will allow the church to be endowed with resources at this moment to be in the forefront in assisting the displaced,this became very clear to me as we give out our supplies yesterday.The destruction to properties in the badly affected areas will take years to re-build,It will also take billions of shillings to maintain the relief efforts.and similar amounts to help people having back their livelihood.Our need of financial assistance is so great.We have been able to access up to around 1,2 million shs from newfrontiers central pool which helped us in making the purchase of 2 full truck load of relief supplies that were given out yesterday.
The Red-Cross and other humanitarian agencies are doing a great work,but take it from me from what I saw yesterday they can not be compared with the church that is coming with a different spirit of true,genuine and sincere love of God which is deeply touching the hearts of the injured,those that have lost their loved ones and displaced.I am sure the relief agencies come in such moments with incredible knowledge,experience and expertise.
There are clear indications that the impulse will be broken shortly and that the President and the opposition come together to map out an acceptable,peaceful wayforward.
In conclusion I sense a mighty move of the holy spirit countrywide about to break out that will lead to mass conversion,repentance and healing!
Thank you will keep you posted
Today has been a very difficult day for me. I have wept and wept as I have encountered first hand the stories of what the affected have gone through. The saddest stories being of how some children aged between 1-4 years had met their death. An infant drowned in a sewage until death, a 3 yr old child escaping from a burning house thrown back to the same fire. Around 40 persons torched inside a KAG church building, over a thousand so far dead, close 500,000 displaced. Never seen or heard anything like this. We need help to help our own. Its been peaceful the last 2 days.