Monday, January 21, 2008

Bucking the Trend

As you look over the broad landscape of young adults, two things come to mind: a lack of interest in church and debt. Only 4% of 18-24 year olds attend church as compared to 65% in the 1940s. 67% of those between the ages of 22-29 have racked up nearly $6000 in credit card debt and $4000 in car loans (not to mention student loans - let's not mention them shall we?).

Amidst the seemingly bleak landscape of this generation of Americans, I believe I encountered a radical group of young Christians that are bucking that trend. Jubilee Church just had the privilege of hosting a 20s conference called "Clear Vision" where 300 of young adults ages 18-29 gathered for a time of worship, teaching and life-change as they encountered presence of God. I was very proud and encouraged to see this group really engage with God and open to their lives up for God to mold and shape. For me, I saw the fruit of this counter-cultural way of living when we received an offering for Kenya totaling more than $23,000!

I'm very proud to be associated with such a radical group of young people!