Monday, June 7, 2010

Faith: It's All About Him

What makes faith, faith is that it is rooted and ground in God's promise to us. Moreover, it's EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to know that God's promise to us is UNCONDITIONAL. Consider God's promise to Abraham.

Genesis 12:1
Now the Lord said to Abram, “Go from your country and your kindred and your father's house to the land that I will show you. 2 And I will make of you a great nation, and I will bless you and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. 3 I will bless those who bless you, and him who dishonors you I will curse, and in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.

Notice that God did not say, if you will do this, then I will do this. Rather, God said, You WILL do this and I WILL do this! "Go from your country...and I will make of you a great nation." It was not a conditional proposition, but rather simultaneously a command and a promise. Why? Because God does not affirm us on the basis of what we do; He affirms us because of what He does. "...I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” (Romans 9:15)

Know that you are affirmed based upon His performance and not yours.