Thursday, January 1, 2009

How to Read the Bible Using the Soap Method

If you use my Bible reading plan, I recommend the S.O.A.P. method. I describe what the S.O.A.P. method is on each month's Bible reading plan.

I've decided to go ahead and show you an example of what the S.O.A.P. method looks like from my reading this morning. Interestingly enough for me, there was the common theme of prayer in both readings. I will be talking about prayer this Sunday in preparation for our week of prayer that starts Monday, January 5.

Here are two examples of the S.O.A.P. method:

S: 1 Chronicles 4:9-10, “Jabez was more honorable than his brothers; and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, ‘Because I bore him in pain.’ Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, ‘Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!’ And God granted what he asked.”
O: Jabez made his desire and request known to God with passion (prayer) and God granted His request.
A: I want to make more of my desires known to God and not to be afraid for them to be passionate.
P: “Holy Spirit, will you fill me up with more of you that I may passionately approach the throne room of heaven with my desires and requests!”

S: Acts 1:14, “These all with one mind were continually devoting themselves to prayer, along with the women, and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with His brothers.”
O: The first thing the disciples did after receiving the “Great Commission” to go into all the world a preach the gospel is pray. And not just a quick prayer out of reverence, but it says they “continually devoted” themselves to prayer. They were resolute and determined in their prayer.
A: I want to be more intentional and aggressive to make sure I am in prayer.
P: Jesus, I thank you that because of you, the veil has been torn and we can freely enter the Father’s presence and make our requests known to Him. Please help me to be more committed to prayer.