Monday, July 2, 2007

Get Out Into the Rain

It has not rained much year. It has been difficult to keep plants alive and I have noticed where my lawn was turning brown. For those that want to keep things green, last week’s downpours were a welcomed change. My parched plants in the backyard got their much-needed drink and my grass is looking a little greener. I did notice, however, that our plants hanging underneath the front porch were still looking haggard and dried up. You see since these plants were sheltered from the rain, they didn’t get watered and as far as they are concerned, it was as if it didn't rain at all.

This got me thinking about spiritual matters and my own life and your life. Without the continue shower of God’s presence, our lives can shrivel up and lose spiritual vitality. The good news is that God presence is always raining. We just need to get out there and enjoy it and receive the benefit of doing so. However, sometimes we stay underneath shelter while God’s presence is pouring. The result is we begin to lose life like the plants on my front porch. At those times, it seems as though God is not really available. And we grow cynical and hard and callus. What we need is to be reminded that God is raining down his presence all the time. It is just a matter of us getting outside from underneath our shelters to receive from and experience him.